Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Shame On Me For Putting That Off!

So I think procrastination is a tool we put in the devil’s hand. I mean sometimes he attacks us and we never see it coming. But sometimes we don't even provide him with a challenge. We just hand him the ammo and hold the bulls eye right in front of our faces. There are things we allow in our lives that give satan a foothold. And these footholds are not always obvious to us and may seem harmless at any rate. I think procrastination is one of those things.

Just last week I saw God show up in pretty amazing ways. It was a very good week in that department. I was sailing right along. But by the time I got to Friday, I was done. My battery was fried. Like stick-a-fork-in-me-I’m-done fried. Kind of like Elijah after his Mt. Carmel experience in 1 Kings 18 & 19. Except I didn’t have a crazy vindictive Queen putting a voodoo curse on my head or anything. I was just drained for no good reason. Or so I thought.

While I was “reflecting” on where my week started its downhill slide, I felt God leading me to some little things I had been putting off dealing with. They weren’t important or life altering. Just little things I have been meaning to do. A phone call, a note, an appointment that needs to be made, a closet that needs to be cleaned out, a spill in the bottom of the refrigerator that needs to be dealt with. That kind of stuff. Just crazy little things that will never in a million years take care of themselves.

God pointed out to me that these little things will drain my battery faster than leaving my car headlights on all night long. It’s an attitude thing. If I let myself ignore the little things, they can become big things in a snap. It’s also a discipline thing. If I can’t take care of unimportant things in a timely manner, what in the world will I do when a real issue comes up? The best time to take care of a situation is the moment you become aware of it. (Ouch! That smarts!!!) How can I expect God to trust me with really big things if I put off dealing with the piddly little things in my life?

Some days I feel like I’m starting over at square one. Ever feel that way? But that’s why I love the way GRACE works! How about you? Here's to starting over, right now, today. And here's to taking care of all those dirt piles under the rugs. Anybody want to borrow my broom and dust pan?

3 comments:

  1. Cute post and SO true! It is amazing how all those little things that I have been neglecting remain buried in my sub-conscious, chipping away at me. When I finally get them done, peace returns. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for finally giving in and starting your blog! I enjoy reading your heart and each time I do...I can hear your voice saying each word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You spoke life into mine with this post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete