Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The One Secret I'm NOT Supposed to Keep!

I have a confession. I’m not good at keeping secrets. Hold on there…if you tell me something in confidence that I can do. It is not a problem. But if your husband or wife is planning a surprise birthday party for you, you better hope they don’t invite me until the last possible moment and that I don’t run into you at the grocery store on the way, because just as sure as the sun came up this morning, I will find a way to spill the beans! It’s too hard to pretend that I don’t know when something really good is about to happen to a person. It’s one reason I wait until the last minute to do any type of gift shopping. Because I can’t keep a stinking secret! I don’t mean to tell or ruin the surprise. I try so hard to NOT say anything that the reverse actually ends up happening. How crazy is that?

Well, lately God and I have been pondering (actually I’ve been doing the pondering, He’s been handling the revelation part) several times in scripture where Jesus uses the words, “whoever has been given much, much is expected” (or required). Now let me insert a disclaimer right here and now. I am no bible scholar by any stretch of the imagination. So understand that these are simply my own humble opinions. Please feel free to critique, (nicely, of course) correct, expand upon or in any way, shape or form set me straight if you don’t share said humble opinions. Let’s dialogue!

So, yes, God and I have been going over these words and the times that scripture records Jesus using them. Most often it was in some way connected to a parable. *NOTE – I love that Jesus was a storyteller and that His stories are still so relevant today, don’t you?* At times He is actually explaining the hidden meaning (read secret) in the parable to His disciples. See, Jesus can’t keep good news from people either! And that is exactly my point here.

I know that most times we use these verses to show what scripture teaches about how we should share the material blessings God has given us with others. I totally agree with that interpretation. But as I have been studying, it also appears to apply to knowledge and understanding God has given to us; entrusted to us to put it more accurately. If God opens our minds and hearts and grants us understanding of His great secrets, it comes with a responsibility to share them with others.

Think of it like this. If someone were to discover a cure for cancer and then proceed to seal the information in an envelope and lock it away in a file cabinet or hide it in a safe, we would practically, and I think justifiably, accuse them of murder. Withholding that kind of information from a dying person is nothing short of cruel. But may I suggest to you that we, as believers, are possibly guilty of much worse. We have the greatest secret of all. We know the best news there is to know and it affects everyone. And God has given us permission; no He has given us the responsibility to share it boldly. I know I’m guilty as charged. Why in the world would I choose this secret of all secrets to keep to myself? Now that makes no sense whatsoever.

So here’s today’s challenge: Read through the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John – I’m not giving specific scripture links on purpose. I think you'll enjoy digging for it yourself) and look for the times Jesus indicates that if we have been given understanding we’re expected to share it; pay close attention to His last charge to His disciples as He leaves their physical presence. That’s where we receive our permission in the form of a commission. It’s our right. It’s our duty. But mostly it’s our privilege. I am so very thankful God allows us to be a part of the work that only He can do.

And if you are still looking for more after you read those four books, here is a link to a post containing a 30-day Plan to read through the whole New Testament. Our pastor shared it with us last year and it is totally do-able! Go for it. What do you have to lose? Ignorance?

1 comment: